Call us now ! Send us an email Rutledge St Camden United States

Back to Top

Call Us Today!
(803) 432-4402

Areas of Practice

Personal Injury

Automobile Accidents
Injured in an automobile accident?
If you or a family member have been injured in an automobile accident, you will need an experienced and committed attorney to guide you through the claim resolution process. Dealing with insurance companies can be a frustrating and confusing experience. We have over 30 years of experience and have resolved thousands of automobile accident claims. We understand how to handle claims for damages and would welcome the opportunity to be of service to you.
You can call us today at (803) 432-4402 to set up a free consultation to learn what we may be able to do for you.
What compensation are you entitled to?
If you have been hurt as a result of another driver’s carelessness, negligence or recklessness, you are entitled to receive fair and just compensation which may include:
• Medical bills that were incurred for medical treatment
• Lost wages or income that you suffered from for being unable to work
• Pain and suffering which describes the physical pain and emotional distress a victim endures as a result of a personal injury accident. Emotional distress (also known as mental anguish) can include depression, anxiety, insomnia, irritability and more
• Property damage if you are the owner of the vehicle and other items that may have been damaged in the car
When should you hire a lawyer to begin handling your automobile accident claim?
Call us now to determine if you have a viable claim. The longer you wait to present a claim, the more time an insurance company will have to minimize the value of your claim or build a case against paying you at all. An experienced attorney can obtain pictures of the accident, the damaged vehicle, obtain statements from witnesses and the officer who investigated the accident scene. With the passage of time, valuable information can become lost, or memories of witnesses can become dim, so the sooner you retain an attorney, the better your chances of receiving fair compensation.
What will an attorney do for you?
• Intake your case by obtaining all the relevant information needed to perfect a claim
• Obtain pictures of the accident scene when necessary and the damaged vehicle if it is accessible
• If necessary, talk to the police officer who investigated the accident
• Talk to witnesses who have been identified as having seen the accident
• Obtain a copy of the accident report
• Notify the liability insurance that you have retained an attorney to represent your interest, and request that they direct any communications on the claim to the attorney
• Have the client and attorney execute a contingency fee agreement consistent with the requirements of the Rules of Professional Conduct
• If client requires physical therapy, recommend him/her to an appropriate health care provider
• At completion of client’s treatment, obtain all medical records from all of his/her medical providers related to the accident and review
• Prepare a demand package with all relevant information to the claim, and submit to the liability carrier for consideration with a view toward settlement
• If a favorable settlement has been achieved, prepare a written settlement statement for the client’s reviewing setting forth the financial particulars of the client’s claim
Does the client have to pay any money up front?
We handle automobile accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means we receive our fee out of the settlement or jury award. You do not pay anything up front. The lawyer’s fees are based on what he negotiates for the client and what the client accepts.
Tips to consider if you are involved in an automobile accident:
• If possible, use your cellular phone to take pictures of the accident scene and skid marks if any.
• Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle as well.
• Take pictures of the interior of your vehicle if the air bags deployed, if there were broken windows, if the seats were dislodged or the dashboard or steering column was damaged.
• If they are willing and cooperative, get the name, address and phone number of witnesses who saw the accident.
• Refrain from giving a statement to the insurance company representative before you consult with a lawyer.
  • Truck and Trailer Accidents
  • Motorcycle Accidents
  • Accidents Caused by DUI Drivers
  • Hit-and-Run Accidents
  • Uninsured Motorist Claim
  • Neck Injuries
  • Back Injuries
  • Boat Accidents
  • Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
  • Wrongful Death

Worker's Compensation

  • All Injuries at Work
  • Construction Site Injuries
What should a worker do who is injured on the job?
• Report your injury at work to your employer immediately and request medical treatment if needed. You should report your injury within 90 days of your injury. Otherwise, you may lose your benefits.
What medical treatment is an injured worker entitled to receive?
• You are entitled to receive all necessary medical treatment that is likely to lessen your disability, inclusive of hospitalization, surgery, medical supplies, prosthetic devices and prescriptions. It should be noted that in order to receive medical benefits that are paid under workers’ compensation, they should be authorized by a doctor chosen by your employer or the workers’ compensation insurance carrier.
Will an injured employee get compensated for missing time from work because of his/her injury?
• There is a seven-day waiting period before benefits can be paid. If the worker is out of work for more than seven days, per a doctor’s orders, payments will come from your employer’s representative. If you are out of work for more than 14 days, you will receive compensation from day one of your accident.
How will an injured workers’ compensation be determined when he/she is out of work?
• An injured worker is entitled to compensation at the rate of 662/3 percent of his average weekly wage based on the four quarters prior to his injury but no more than the maximum average weekly wage determined by the South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce. If the worker was working two or more jobs at the same time of the injury, those wages might be included as part of the average weekly wage and compensation rate.
What can the injured worker do if he/she cannot come to an agreement with his/her employer about his/her injuries?
• An injured worker has two years from the date of his/her injury to file a Form 50 with the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission. A hearing will be scheduled for the employee and employer to present their positions to a commission who will in due course issue an order setting forth their findings and making an award if the commission believes that the evidence supports an award to the worker. If the commission doesn’t believe there is sufficient evidence to support an award they will deny the claim.
Can an injured worker get a second opinion if he/she is not happy with the doctor to whom the insurance carrier referred him/her to?
• The injured worker can request that the insurance carrier refers him/her to another doctor. If the carrier declines to do so, the injured worker can request a hearing before the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation to address that issue.
Is an injured worker entitled to reimbursement for travel expenses when he/she goes to the doctor?
• Yes, if the round trip is more than ten miles from the injured worker’s home. The injured worker should be reimbursed for the round-trip mileage at the rate allowed for state employees for mileage.
Is an employer required to have workers’ compensation insurance?
• The rule of thumb is that any employer who regularly employs four or more employees full-time or part-time is required to have workers’ compensation insurance. There are exceptions, including Agriculture Employees, Railroad, and Railway Express Companies and their employees and employers who had a total annual payroll during the previous year of less than $3,000.00 regardless of the number of workers employed during that period. Also exempt are Textile Hall Corporation and certain paid real estate agents.

If you have been injured on the job and want to ensure that your rights are being fully protected, call us at (803) 432-4402. All cases are handled on a contingency fee basis, and the client pays nothing up front. We collect fees only if we recover a monetary award for you or effect a financial settlement.

Employment Discrimination

  • Hostile Work Environment
  • Harassment at Work
Being harassed on the job?
No one should be subjected to unwanted sexual harassment on the job. Sexual harassment can make a victim feel powerless and depressed. Many victims are of the belief that there is nothing they can do about harassment, so they remain quiet and tolerate it.
You do not have to be a victim to someone who is sexually harassing you on the job. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits sexual harassment or other unacceptable conduct at your employment.
Unwelcome sexual advances, request for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitutes sexual harassment when this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual’s employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual’s work performance, or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment. Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex. For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general.
Although Title VII doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision such as a victim being fired or demoted.
The harasser can be the victim’s supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer.
In addition to unwelcome sexual advances, an employee may be subjected to a hostile work environment. A hostile work environment exists when an individual’s behavior or conduct within the workplace creates an environment that makes it difficult for another individual to perform his/her work duties. Common complaints about a hostile work environment include fondling, suggestive remarks, propositions, sexually-suggestive photos displayed in the workplace, use of sexual language or offensive jokes. To be unlawful, the conduct must create a work environment that would be intimidating, hostile or offensive to a reasonable person. An employer can be held liable for failing to prevent these workplace conditions unless it can prove that it attempted to prevent the harassment and that the employee failed to take advantage of existing harassment countermeasures or tools provided by the employer.
A hostile work environment may also be created when management acts in a manner designed to make an employee quit in retaliation for some action. For example, if an employee reported safety violations at work, was injured, attempted to join a union, or reported a regulatory violation by management, and management’s response was to harass and pressure the employee to quit. Some employers try to force employees to quit by imposing unwarranted discipline, reducing hours, cutting wages or transferring complaining employees to distant work locations.
We assist victims of sexual harassment on the job and a hostile workplace environment with filing a claim with the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which is a federal agency that investigates these types of claims. The EEOC can investigate these allegations if there is sufficient evidence of a violation of Title VII and can effect an appropriate remedy including monetary compensation.

If you believe you have been the victim of harassment on the job or have been exposed to a hostile workplace environment, please call our office at (803) 432-4402 to see if we can help. We have affordable consultation fee. Cases are accepted on a contingency fee basis, meaning there is no cost to you if we do not recover any compensation for you.

Additional Services

  • Wills
  • Probate Estates
  • Durable Power of Attorney
  • Guardianship and Conservatorships
  • Insurance Disputes

Call Us Today At ♦ (803) 432-4402

YP Reviews

In Business Since 1984


Dennis N. Cannon, Jr.
512 Rutledge St
Camden, SC 29020
Phone: (803) 432-4402

Business Hours

Mon - Thu: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Fri: 09:00 AM - 03:00 PM
Sat - Sun: Closed
Appointments Available

Payment Options